«
»

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Why Ask Why?

People want to know who God is and why He does the things He does. They question something so much greater than themselves. They want to know which faith is right and why its right and how it came to be. How can you explain faith? You can only do so much to attempt to prove faith and why it exists. We see how situations affect us, we want to know why this is happening to us when in reality, we are not the only ones who are being affected. It's just like a human to assume that it is all about us. Why did I lose my job? Why did my son die? Why did my car get stolen? Stop and look at what happened to you and you will see that there are other people involved in each story of your life. What about the person who stole the car? What about the boss who let you go? What about the person who filled you position? What about your spouse, also a parent of your child? Or other children who were brothers and sisters to your child? That same God that you curse for taking away what was not yours in the first place is the God that is working in others' lives who saw the same thing happen to them. Maybe it was what they needed to go through so that they would come to know Him.

3 comments:

Simon Jester said...

One of the most amazing things to me is the universal attempt of humans to make God in their own image. The things that are important to us MUST be important to God.

When I walk with my daughter and she stumbles and falls, I did not cause it. But I am there to pick her up, support her, and if necessary, to carry her home.

These are God's priorities too. Assuming of course, that we are not so willful as to refuse the comfort of his arms.

Jenny said...

God is always working, through the person of the Holy Spirit. He is in and around and through all things. Faith is recognizing this and remembering not to lean upon our own understanding. Thanks for reminding me, Robyn!

Robyn said...

Thanks don and jennifer for your inspiring words. This was written not so much for others as it was for me. I had been lost in thought one day, troubling over simple issues, when I realized I needed to look at the big picture rather than little things that I couldn't fix. I can't change the past but I can seek to improve myself by learning from my mistakes. One key thing that I am constantly reminding myself of is God is in control, always.