«
»

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Air Force Academy Question #3

3. Describe a setback or an ethical dilemma you faced and how you overcame it. What was the outcome? If another situation like it comes up in the future, how would you face it? (400-500 words 3,000 characters max)
A major setback in life for me has been my living situation. According to statistics, the kids whose parents are married and live together, have the greatest income, and the highest education are the ones who are most likely to score high on standardized testing and have the best grades. In general these are the people who finish college and become "successful" according to society. I come from a home that is neither wealthy nor well educated. Neither parent graduated from high school and my parents were never married, nor do they live together now. The chaos of my home was something that many individuals would shake their head at and take pity on me. I have no use for their pity or head shaking. I only have use for their wisdom and advice. Where can I go from here? How can I become successful? First I had to define what success meant to me, which required setting goals and aspirations. Along with goals, I defined morals for myself. Doing this set me apart from most teenagers. It made me have higher standards for myself and brought me to a realization that I and I alone am responsible for my own actions. I am accountable for everything I do or fail to do. Once I layed out my personal goals, both long term and short term, I began to develop ways to achieve them. For short term goals such as being on the honor roll, graduating from high school, and becoming the battalion commander of JROTC, the answer to my main question of “How do I reach this goal?” was simple: work hard. For my long term goals of going to college, obtaining a bachelor’s degree, and becoming a better person all around, the answer to my question must be expanded upon. There was no doubt that hard work is key. It is a very important factor in any aspect of life. However, there is so much more to be looked at when it comes to making decisions in the long run, such as which college to attend. I did a lot of research and gained information about options for my future. I looked on the internet, read books, and talked to people with experience; those who have already achieved the goals I am working toward. I plan on continuing to seek out wisdom and gain understanding for all of my upcoming decisions. I will be the best at whatever I do because I have made that decision and put the words to action. My life will not be one of pity but one of accomplishment, of success.

1 comments:

Monica said...

Awesome Post. Did the USAFA accept your app?